1. Finland created a National Failure Day in 2010,
(to learn from mistakes and not repeat them).
2. They drink more coffee per person than anyone else in the world, (12 kg per year).
3. They host a whole bunch of odd competitions, including wife carrying,
mobile phone throwing, air guitar and boot throwing.
4. There are no payphones here, (it’s the home of Nokia).
5. They’ve given up on the 2 and 3 cent coins (too fiddly?).
6. Finland has been ranked number 1 in the world for education.
7. Traffic violation fines depend on how much you earn,
in 2002 a man was fined 116,000EUR (he had a yearly income of 7 million)
8. It is the norm to have a sauna in your house…
9. ..and to jump in a lake after you’ve had one, even in the winter.
10. In June and July, the sun doesn’t drop below the horizon.
11. In the winter, the sun never reaches the horizon.
12. You can hire igloos to stay in if you don’t fancy the Helsinki hotels,
when the temperature is -30ºc outside, they stay at a balmy -3ºc.
13. You must keep the head lights on in the car, even during the day.
14. It has the least corrupt government in the word (according to 2012 statistics)
15. Finland has the most heavy metal bands, with 53 per 100 000 people.